What is in a cocktail fizzer or bomb?
Dental trend spotlight:
Do cocktail bombs and fizzers sink your oral health?
Cocktail bombs and fizzers are a newer drink trend. Sort of like a bath bomb for your beverage, these products are small, solid balls or cubes that dissolve in your drink, adding a little fun, fizz, and flavor. They don’t contain any alcohol and can be used to make margaritas, mimosas, or non-alcoholic mocktails.
Sugar in the drink can weaken tooth enamel and create bacteria that leads to plaque. Excess sugar can also lead to risks such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
Alcohol and sugar can both contribute to dry mouth, an increase in bacteria, and bad breath.
Sparkling water can contain sugar or high levels of citric acid, both of which can increase your cavity risk.
Simple ways to protect your oral health
While cocktails do have the potential to damage your teeth and gums, there are ways to minimize your risk.
Be mindful of your cocktail garnish. A lemon or lime wedge seems innocent, but just a bit of lemon juice has enough acid to damage your tooth enamel. Try to find a less acidic substitute, like olives or berries.
Drink water between sips and shortly after you finish the beverage. This helps wash away the bacteria, keeps you hydrated, and prevents dry mouth.
Wait at least 30 minutes to brush your teeth after your last drink. Brushing too soon after acidic food or drinks can erode your tooth enamel.
Our verdict: It’s best to limit these fun and bubbly drinks to special occasions. Follow the tips above to minimize risk and remember to maintain your daily oral health routine (even after a celebratory drink or two).